Halloween is less than a month away so here are a few ways to spark some inspiration and get into the scream of things.
Fun activities for you and the little ghouls:
- Watch Teeny Tiny and the Witch Woman. This short story is read aloud by an old woman whose scratchy voice lends to the spookiness of the tale. My girls watch this one over and over again. Of course, there’s always Hocus Pocus, The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown, Spookley, The Square Pumpkin, and Hotel Transylvania.
- Play Halloween Bingo. Crazy Little Projects created an adorable free printable Bingo game.
- Take a stroll around your neighborhood to check out what people have done to decorate their homes for Halloween. A fun way to get some fresh air and gather up good ideas.
- Decorate a gingerbread haunted house. Who says Christmas gets all the fun with gingerbread? Add a gnarled tree made from a brown paper bag and some black sugar sprinkles around the lawn to complete the look.
- Check out some spooky stories at the library. Old Man Wind, Room On The Broom, The Runaway Pumpkin, Five Funny Frights and The Costume Copycat are some of the girls favorites.
- Crank up some spooky tunes on Pandora. They have a kids Halloween station that you could play while decorating your haunted house.
- Print off some pages from Activity Village. They have coloring pages, games and all sorts ideas to celebrate Halloween..as well as many other holidays celebrated around the world.
Ideas to get yourself psyched:
- Relive the 80s and watch Weird Science, Ghostbusters, or An American Werewolf In London. If the 90s was more your style, there’s Bram Stoker’s Dracula and Edward Scissorhands.
- Read some Edgar Allen Poe. “The Raven,” “A Tell-Tale Heart,” “The Premature Burial,” and other creepy stories and poems are sure to give you the shivers.
- Bake some pumpkin bread or pumpkin cake. These two recipes were my very first post from almost a year ago.
- Make pumpkin soup. I have been dying to try this recipe.
- See what Martha, the Queen of Halloween, is up to this year.
- Try some salty caramel apple vodka by UV ($13/1 L). Another thing I have been meaning to try…with guests over of course. 😉
Are you ready now?