Yesterday I hosted our first official Mom Book Club meeting. It was a smashing success! So many great women attended who all brought amazing food, wine and ideas to the table. The fun thing about a book club is not just discussing the book, but seeing where conversation will steer. The dialogue was enlightening, positive and downright hilarious. We already look forward to our next meeting.
For food, I tried to keep it simple with cucumber sandwiches, cheese, crackers and lemon bars. The lemon squares are perfect for a spring/summer brunch, potluck or fun occasion. There’s just something about them; I think it’s the pretty color and shot of citrus that remind us that warmer days are here (well, almost).
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup confectioner’s sugar
1/3 brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter, diced into small cubes
2 cups granulated sugar
6 Tb all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp salt
zest of 1 lemon
3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
4 large eggs
3 large egg yolks
3 1/2 Tb heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
3. In a food processor (or a large bowl mixed with a fork), pulse together the flour, sugars and salt. Add butter and combine until mixture is crumbly.
4. Pour crust mixture into pan and using plastic wrap, press the mixture evenly on the bottom of pan. Discard plastic wrap. Bake crust in oven for about 20 minutes or until golden.
5. While crust is baking, whisk in sugar, flour and salt in a large mixing bowl.
6. About 10 minutes before crust is done baking, mix in juice of lemons and orange, lemon zest, eggs, egg yolks and heavy cream. Whisk vigorously to blend ingredients well. Pour mixture over hot crust and reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees.
7. Bake until filling is set, about 20-25 minutes. Allow to cool at room temperature for 1 hour, then cover and chill in refrigerator 1 1/2 hours or overnight. Cut into squares and dust tops with powdered sugar.
Store in airtight container in refrigerator.