This recipe is a big winner in our house. There’s something for everyone. My husband loves the meatballs, my girls love the sauce and I love the whole shebang. Serving it family style makes the meal feel more relaxed. You’ve got to love it when you can just plunk dinner right down in the center of the table hot out of the oven. I serve this with garlic toasts so we can dip them into the skillet, but you could also toss your favorite kind of cooked pasta in with it too. Be careful when you serve this, the skillet will be very hot!
Another thing I like about this recipe is that it doesn’t take all day to make. Give yourself 40 minutes and you’ve got it covered.
Credit: Cooking Light Magazine
- 1 small zucchini shredded (I use a cheese grater)
- 12 ounces ground turkey
- 1 small onion shredded
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tb olive oil
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 cups of your favorite jarred pasta sauce (we like Prego)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup pre-shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 french baguette, cut into small slices and toasted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place shredded zucchini between a double layer of paper towels to squeeze out excess moisture. Stir together zucchini, turkey, onion, oregano, salt, pepper and egg into a medium sized bowl. Using a small cookie scoop, or about 1 tablespoon, arrange onto prepared baking sheet. Bake for about 12 minutes or fully cooked.
- Meanwhile, heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat on the stove. Add olive oil to the pan and garlic and mushrooms. Saute for about 5 minutes or until mushrooms are fully cooked. Stir in marinara sauce and 1/4 cup water. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes. Add meatballs to skillet (leave behind cooked-out proteins); gently stir to coat with sauce. Sprinkle cheese on the top.
- Broil meatballs until cheese is melted and bubbly, about 2 minutes.
- Serve with toasted baguette.
Here’s the mushrooms sauteed with the garlic and olive oil.
Next, add your marinara and water. Let it simmer for a few minutes. Then put your baked meatballs on top.
Stir the meatballs into the sauce until they are completely coated.
Finally, sprinkle the cheese on top and toss them under the broiler for 2 minutes.
Enjoy! (Safety hint: I keep an oven mitt on the handle to prevent burns)