Here is a simple idea I adapted slightly from Martha Stewart. Homemade snow domes. This project is whimsical and actually pretty relaxing to just sit back and take in when you are done. Did you ever look inside a snow globe as a kid and wish you were small enough to fit inside that cool, tiny world? Your kids might when they see the finished project. Btw, that tree is supposed to be a little tipsy because it’s a Whoville tree; we love the Grinch around here. That might even be Cindy Lou making the snowman.
Here’s what you need to get started:
- Apothecary Jar, preferably with a wider top (Michael’s or Hobby Lobby has these and make sure to show them your 40% off coupon from you phone at the checkout)
- Artificial snow
- Small baby food jar or tea light candle holder
- Battery operated string lights (Home Depot, Martha Stewart brand– $7.99)
- Scotch tape
- A bottle brush tree, plastic deer, penguin or whatever else you have lying around the house to decorate inside your jar (I used a tree and figurine from my Christmas village)
- Carefully wind string lights near the lip of the jar and use tape to secure.
- Set lights to a timer position so that you don’t have to fiddle with turning them on and off every day.
- Very carefully place the jar upside down on top of battery pack inside jar. I admit, I was clumsy and accidentally broke the back of my jar when my hand slipped. 😦
- Place decorative items in jar and top with snow.
- Sit back and enjoy your illuminated wonderland.