Here’s a good recipe to try over the weekend that will hopefully leave enough left over to bring into work on Monday. There’s a couple of surprising ingredients that give it some extra depth and flavors. Serve it alongside some crusty bread and you’ve got yourself one hearty, satisfying meal.
Cheddar Broccoli Soup
- 3 Tb unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 large heads broccoli florets, chopped
- 6 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or half and half
- In a large pot on the stove, melt 3 Tb butter over medium heat. Add onion, salt, white pepper, nutmeg, cayenne pepper, garlic and thyme. Saute all ingredients until onions turn translucent; about 4 minutes.
- Pour chicken stock into pot and stir gently. Turn up heat to high and wait for it to boil.
- Turn down heat to medium and add the broccoli. Allow to cook for 5-7 minutes or until broccoli is thoroughly cooked.
- Turn off stove. Using an immersion blender, blend all ingredients together. You can also use a blender, but you will have to blend in small batches carefully. Hot liquids can cause the lid to fly off and scald the skin.
- Add heavy cream or half and half and sharp cheddar cheese. Stir until combined into soup and serve with your favorite bread. Enjoy!